Erica McDowell speaks at the March ASSP Chapter Meeting
By Renee Witherspoon, CSP, CIH, CHMM, ASSP South Plains Chapter
Our March 19, 2019 ASSP South Plains Chapter hosted a luncheon meeting with Erica McDowell, Lubbock District Coordinator for the Texas Department of Emergency Management (TDEM). The luncheon was sponsored by Texas Mutual’s WorkSafe Texas Summit on April 30.
We also had another special guest attend our meeting ASSP Region III North Area Director Stephanie Johnson, CSP, CHMM. Stephanie is the EHS Area Manager for AT&T Services in Dallas and serves an important position for our Region. Thank you Stephanie for participating in our meeting.
Erica’s presentation provided key Federal, State and local resources where we can get assistance in our emergency planning and preparedness activities. Importantly the first resource she provided was her phone number (see below) so that if we needed any assistance with planning to contact her.
She also spoke about a new program, State of Texas Emergency Assistance Registry or STEAR. STEAR provides citizens with a means to voluntarily register their needs during an emergency response. She said that having your family’s needs registered helps emergency responders better plan the kinds of services they might need during a disaster. She emphasized that if you register, it is not a substitute for developing and maintaining your family disaster plan.
The following are links and phone numbers to emergency planning resources that were discussed:
Lubbock Area Resources
- TDEM District Coordinator, Lubbock
- Erica McDowell (806) 548-4344 (cell); (806) 740-8982 (office)
- 2-1-1 Texas South Plains
- Dial 2-1-1, or (877) 541-7905
- 211 is a program of the Texas Health and Human Services Commission which helps Texans connect with the available services and resources.
- Local Emergency Management Offices
- Clint Thetford, Lubbock County EMO Coordinator, (806)775-7300; email@example.com
- City of Lubbock, Office of Emergency Management; (806) 775-3464.
- LBKAlert – Emergency Notification Systems
- LBKAlert is the City of Lubbock’s emergency notification system. This system provides updates to severe weather, unexpected road closures, emergency evacuations of buildings or neighborhoods, and utility outages.
- Sign up at: https://ci.lubbock.tx.us/pages/sign-up-for-lbkalert
- National Weather Service, Lubbock
- Red Cross
- South Plains Chapter of the American Red Cross, (806) 765-8534
- Salvation Army
- Lubbock Corps Community Center, (806) 765-9434
- South Plains Unified Regional Systems Network (SPURS)
- Resource on how you can prepare your family and community for an emergency.
- Links are provided to volunteer for local Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT).
- Department of State Health Services (DSHS)
- Resources on how to minimize risks during an emergency. Provides excellent plan templates.
- Office of the Texas Governor – https://gov.texas.gov/organization/disabilities/emergency_management
- Preparing Texas – https://www.preparingtexas.org/index.aspx
- Ready or Not – https://www.texasprepares.org/
- Texas Department of Public Safety – https://www.dps.texas.gov/dem/PublicInfo.htm
COOP Constant and Associates, Inc. Continuity Planning for Small Businesses Template
- Constant and Associates, Inc. Resources and Tools – https://constantassociates.com/resources-2/
- FEMA COOP – https://www.fema.gov/media-library/assets/documents/72598
- FEMA Emergency Management Institute
- Free training through self-paced courses designed for people who have emergency management responsibilities and the general public
- FEMA – ready.gov/make-a-plan
- FEMA (Businesses) – ready.gov/business
On behalf of the South Plains Chapter ASSP, we would like to thank Erica for her excellent presentation and Eileen Keller, President/CEO of Ideality.com for her sponsorship of the luncheon.