SPC Welcomes Sara Coley with the TCEQ in October
Posted: Oct 20, 2018
On October 16th, 2018 the South Plains Chapter welcoming Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, Environmental Investigator, Sara Coley.
Sara is part of the Air Permitting team of the TCEQ in the Lubbock office, and she provided an excellent presentation on the roles including Rulemaking, Permitting, Monitoring, Investigations, Enforcement and Emergency Response. She also provided a brief overview of air permitting including Permit by Rule Authorizations, De Minimis Facilities/Sources, New Source Review (NSR) Permits and Standard Permits.
Where to start? If someone is starting a new business or facility and there is a possibility of air emissions, check first to see if it can be classified as “de minimis.” If the facility is listed, registration or authorization prior to construction is not required, see handout. She also noted that many small operations are not “de minimis” so owners or operators should always verify the correct authorization is acquired prior to start up to avoid violations, see frequency of cited violations below for Fiscal Year (FY) 2018.
Frequently Cited Violations (FY18)
- Citation: §382.085, Texas Health & Safety Code, 3253 issued
- Citation: §122.143, Title V General Terms & Conditions, 2231 issued
- Citation: §116.115, NSR General & Special Conditions, 1783 issued
- Citation: §101.20, Compliance with EPA Standards, 484 issued
- Citation: §122.145, Title V Reporting, 332 issued
- Citation: §101.201, Emissions Events, 153 issued
- Citation: §116.615, Standard Permit General Conditions, 145 issued
For more information on Air Permitting and Air Quality check out the TCEQ website at https://www.tceq.texas.gov/permitting/air/air_permits.html
On behalf of the South Plains Chapter we would like to thank Sara for her very informative presentation, and appreciate her willingness to come out and share her knowledge and expertise with us.