Our Chapter of the American Society of Safety Professionals makes no warranty implied or expressed to the accuracy, completeness, or relevance of any information provided in the sites shown below. These links are provided for informational purposes only.
Asbestos in Buildings (Texas Rules)
- Free resources for patients and families affected by mesothelioma and other asbestos-related cancers at http://www.asbestos.com/
DOT and Hazmat Transportation
- PHMSA – DOT Pipeline & Hazardous Materials Safety. Hazmat Safety.
- IATA International Air Transport Association (IATA) – Shipping Hazardous Materials by Air.
Emergency Preparedness & Response – Lubbock Area Resources
- TDEM District Coordinator, Lubbock (current as of 3/2019)
- Erica McDowell (806) 548-4344 (cell); (806) 740-8982 (office)
- 2-1-1 Texas South Plains
- Dial 2-1-1, or (877) 541-7905
- 211 is a program of the Texas Health and Human Services Commission which helps Texans connect with the available services and resources.
- Local Emergency Management Offices
- Clint Thetford, Lubbock County EMO Coordinator, (806)775-7300, email@example.com
- City of Lubbock, Office of Emergency Management; (806) 775-3464.
- LBKAlert – Emergency Notification Systems
- LBKAlert is the City of Lubbock’s emergency notification system. This system provides updates to severe weather, unexpected road closures, emergency evacuations of buildings or neighborhoods, and utility outages. Sign up at: https://ci.lubbock.tx.us/pages/sign-up-for-lbkalert
- National Weather Service, Lubbock
- Red Cross
- South Plains Chapter of the American Red Cross, (806) 765-8534
- Salvation Army
- Lubbock Corps Community Center, (806) 765-9434
- South Plains Unified Regional Systems Network (SPURS)
- Resource on how you can prepare your family and community for an emergency.
- Links are provided to volunteer for local Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT).
Emergency Preparedness & Response – Texas Resources
- Department of State Health Services (DSHS)
- Resources on how to minimize risks during an emergency. Provides excellent plan templates.
- Office of the Texas Governor – https://gov.texas.gov/organization/disabilities/emergency_management
- Preparing Texas – https://www.preparingtexas.org/index.aspx
- Ready or Not – https://www.texasprepares.org/
- Texas Department of Public Safety – https://www.dps.texas.gov/dem/PublicInfo.htm
Emergency Preparedness & Response – National Resources
- CDC’s Resources on Emergency Response
- Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP)
- COOP Constant and Associates, Inc. Continuity Planning for Small Businesses Template
- FEMA COOP – https://www.fema.gov/media-library/assets/documents/72598
- FEMA Emergency Management Institute
- Free training through self-paced courses designed for people who have emergency management responsibilities and the general public
- FEMA – ready.gov/make-a-plan
- FEMA (Businesses) – ready.gov/business
- Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) – Environmental regulations for the State of Texas.
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
Federal Agency/Military Websites
- Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Department of Energy Environment, Safety and Health
- Department of Energy
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- FedStats “Gateway to statistics from over 100 U.S. Federal agencies.”
- Mine Safety and Health Administration
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- National Library of Medicine’s Medline Plus
- National Technical Information Service
- Naval Safety Center Includes Safety Toolbox as well as archives of Photo of the Week demonstrating safety fiascos.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- USDA FDA Foodborne Illness Education Information Center
Flu Links – Pandemic Preparedness
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- World Health Organization
- Pandemic Flu
- Occupational Safety & Health Administration (Avian Flu)
- Prevention of Avian Influenza
Free Safety Video & Training Resources
- OSHA’s Training Resources Home Page
- Susan Harwood Grantee Training Programs– This is the list of training topics available from organizations that received the Susan Harwood grant from OSHA. Slides and training materials are free to download.
- OSHA Multimedia – Online videos
- NIOSH Videos Four downloadable videos on workplace violence, working with stress, TB respiratory protection for health care workers, and OSH factors related to foundry work, along with links to numerous mining safety videos.
- How to design an Effective Training Presentation – This is an excellent article on key steps in developing an effective training program and adult training principles.
Health & Safety Links
- Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories (BMBL) 5th Edition
- CDC A to Z Index – This is the Index for the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) on all of their available topics.
- MedlinePlus Health Information – U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health. Publications listed beneath individual topics.
- National Agricultural Safety Database – Over 2000 publications from 25 states, 4 federal agencies and 5 national organizations, with many in Spanish
- NIOSH Safety and Health Topics – An index of specific occupational safety and health topics.
- OSHA Fact Sheets – Fact sheets on a variety of topics from Aerial Lifts to Young Workers.
- OSHA e-Tools Interactive web-based training tools on a variety of topics from Ammonia Refrigeration to the Youth in Agriculture. Many eTools are also in Spanish.
Hurricane Recovery Worker Safety & Assistance
- NIOSH Hurricane Response: Storm and Flood Cleanup Recommendations, assessment tools, and other related safety information for Storms, Floods and other Emergency Response.
- OSHA Hurricane Recovery Safety Links to OSHA resources on various disaster recovery hazards, bulletins, FAQs, etc.
Mold Growth in Buildings (Texas Rules)
Multilingual Language Resources
- CDC in Spanish
- NIOSH in Spanish
- MedlinePlus Health Information From the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health. Under individual topics, many publications are available in Spanish.
- Pesticide Information Series In Spanish, from the California Department of Pesticide Regulation
- Hazardous Subject Fact Sheets in English/Spanish From the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services
Wildfire Safety Resources
- Wildfire Awareness Texas Department of Public Safety offers information, links and downloadable safety publications related to wildfire safety issues.
- Guide to Staying Safe During Wildfires – If you happen to live in a wildfire-prone state, this is a simple and straightforward guide to planning ahead for wildfires and how to stay safe.